Monday, August 18, 2008

Vacation Training

Vacation...Training...Vacation...Training... and so the debate went on.

We went to Laguna Beach for the weekend, and I was debating whether I was going to take the weekend off and really relax or try and get some training in. The argument was settled when I realized I actually like swimming, biking and running, so into the car the bike and tri bag went.

Saturday we drove down and hung out at the beach. Finally screwing up my nerve to be the only person on the beach in a wetsuit and yellow cap, I got dressed and headed out. I swam from one side of Main Beach to the other and back, out past the surf, and it was great. The water was very clear, the suit adjusted itself accordingly, no panic, and I was able to swim just fine! I was very happy.

Sunday morning while everyone was still dragging themselves out of bed I got dressed, wheeled the bike downstairs, and set off for Dana Point, about 8 miles away down PCH. I ended-up going all the way through Dana Point to hit my turnaround at just under 10 miles. Somehow though, on the way back, I ended up on an end-segment of the freeway. That was entertaining, trying to move between off-ramps and the breakdown lane, until the freeway ended and I was back on a normal street. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Sunday afternoon, after lunch but before heading out, I donned the wetsuit again and repeated the prior day's swim, albeit a bit faster, and with that our vacation came to an end and we drove home.

I was especially psyched that I could handle the waves and the wetsuit (from f2r.com) and the suit kept me nice and warm.

No comments: