Thursday, August 14, 2008

Practice Practice

Last night was our regular Wednesday night coached swim. Nothing too special except that it felt a bit "light." We did a tire-relay at the end, using a pool float that looked like a tire and 2-4 people pushing or pulling it at one time - lots of fun but difficult to move around in a lane. Great exercise though. As usual we ended-up at the Thai place for dinner where everyone wolfed-down their food. Good times!

This morning Ryan and I embarked on a 6-mile run around Tarzana (Ryan of course rode his bike). I ended-up with a blister the size of a quarter on my right arch, started on Tuesday when I tried running without socks so I could see if I could race without socks, which would save a minute or so from my T1 time. I'm going to see if I can fix the problem in my shoe. Irrespective of that, I ran the best ever - very little walking, very little fatigue. The only thing I did differently this time was to have a GU gel about 10 minutes before we left, and to keep sucking down GU20 every 10-15 minutes (I usually use Gatorade). It was even decently warm out as we left late, which usually slows me down. I'm liking the Gu more and more.

After the run I did some full-body weight training at the house for about 15 minutes, followed by a recovery protein drink. Then it was back to work.

Tomorrow morning we're going to swim (should be interesting after the weights today). I'll also try some "flying cowboy" bike mounts to see if I can get that down (saving another 20-30 seconds of time in my T1 transition).

Fundraising-wise I'm $75 away from goal! Hard to believe but I'm just about there. A few people have pledged to donate and I'm waiting for those to hit.

Just a month to go until the big day!

For your entertainment, check out this video on YouTube of a guy surfing a 66 foot wave 100 miles off the coast of California (in open water): Crazy Surfer

No comments: