Thursday, July 24, 2008

Swim Practice Update

Given my performance at the tri last weekend in the swimming leg, and the fact that I'm home watching both kids in the mornings for the next couple of weeks, I decided to focus on swimming as much as possible to get that up to a satisfactory level.

I swam Monday morning, Tuesday morning and last night (coached practice). I was told that I had visibly improved and to be honest, I felt better in the water. I had more strength and endurance, and getting into a good planing position took about 10 minutes as opposed to 35 minutes of weeks past.

Now the downside: my back is killing me! It hurt quite a bit on the bike and run legs on Saturday and I didn't quite know what to make of that. I'm going to restart my physical therapy exercises since I haven't been to the gym in weeks, and sporadically for weeks before that since starting tri training. I'm thinking I've lost core strength and am basically, from a musculature point of view, softening up too much. So back to stretching and the gym to lift weights. This of course means my endurance training will decrease a bit, but I'm not sure of any other way around it.

No comments: