Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm a Triathlete

It's been a while since I posted so let's catch-up.

Tri-camp was a lot of fun. The Eastside and Westside teams camped together at Lake Lopez. Most arrived Friday evening, I drove up Saturday morning. At 10 we cycled down to the lake for our first open-water swim of about 500 yeards. That was tough but educational. The lake was a bit chilly but other than that and the reeds poking us near the bank it wasn't bad. I got all the way out and then decided my arms were dead so floated and swam my way back. No problems.

After the swim we got on our bikes and road out of the area into town, about 8 miles away, and back. On the way out I needed a "rest" break and while stopping, unclipped my left foot and proceeded to fall over on my right side. Not my proudest moment, but I did get some great gear-gashes on my left leg (still healing...)

That afternoon I went for another short ride (falling over in the parking lot on the way back) and another swim. The swim scared me as I got out in the middle of the lake and realized I was tired, but I floated and calmed down and made my way back to shore safely. Still, a very nerve-wracking experience.

This weekend of course was the Castaic Tri. My brother-in-law Kevin and I did this one. 400 meter swim, 10 mile bike (through the prison in Castaic), and a 3.2 mile run. Kevin is an ex-marathoner so knowing he would kill me in the run I poured it on in the swim and bike, finishing 6 minutes ahead of him overall. Great experience and learning - looking forward to 8/9 for a repeat and better time. Missed the top 5 in my age group by 1 spot (the top 5 all received medals). And with that, I am officially a triathlete!

No comments: