Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Flat!

Yesterday I dragged the kids to the pool (honestly, who really complains except kids about hanging out at a pool and reading for 45 minutes?) and swam about a mile in laps. Based on my time I figure I've now doubled my swimming ability from when I started - which of course rocks!

Today the team had a practice in San Dimas. Two-hour bike ride followed by a 30-minute lake swim. I passed. Not because I didn't want to do it, but because I didn't feel like driving two hours that would be better spent working at home or training. So that is what I did.

I hopped on the bike (and by "hop" I mean 20+ minutes of getting dressed, preparing hydration, eating breakfast, prep'ing the bike, putting on shoes and helmet, etc.) and rode 5 miles to Balboa Park where they have a nice bike/running/walking path. Rode around that four times (5 miles each loop) and then back home for a 30.5 mile ride! Should have taken me 2 hours, but it worked out to three because - I got my first flat!

On the fourth time around the bike started riding really jerky and I looked down and saw it - flat rear tire. So I found a grassy, shady spot next to a fence off the path and set to work. Twenty minutes later I had a new tube on that was nearly fully inflated (apparently I need to use 1.25 CO2 canisters) and I was off again. On the way back I stopped at Custom Bicycles in Tarzana (18424 1/2 Ventura Blvd., Tarzana, CA 91356, (818) 344-2806 - tell Kevin that "Steve sent me" and he'll likely ask "who's Steve?") to get the bike checked-out and my work was pronounced "good." Home I went, the hill getting even easier than last time, and proceeded to crash (given the topic of this post, that is not the correct word. What I meant is "pass-out") before heading out to the dentist to get a crown reattached (yesterday was quite the day).

So I got my swim and bike done and tomorrow, if I'm still able after the party tonight, I'll do my run, and Monday will be the day off, then it's back to dragging the kids to the pool for a week (poor kids!) Have a great weekend!

p.s. Current fundraising total is $2,675 - goal is $2,800 - how cool is that ?!?
p.p.s. I guess getting my core back in shape is working - my back didn't hurt nearly as bad as it did at Castaic

No comments: