Tuesday, September 2, 2008

T Minus 12 Days to Malibu!

Week 16! Impossible, no way, unbelievable, no chance! Yes, I've made it to week 16 in training, and there are only 12 days to go until the big race. To kick off this milestone, let's play Jeopardy (ok, a very small subset of Jeopardy):

The Answer is: 35.25.
The question is: how many miles did Steve actually ride on Labor Day?

35.25 miles - a new personal best! Took approximately 2.75 hours (there were a lot of lights). Here's the path: house to Balboa Park, around Balboa Park three times, out along bus/bike path to Canoga Park, back to Reseda Blvd., up Reseda and back to house.

At about mile 28 my right knee started to hurt so I favored my left leg, but I was able to make it back and get up the hill to the house.

Of course, to really complete this and help Tri training, I needed to hop off the bike, quickly get into my running shoes, and run around the block a few times. This helps the body get used to switching from riding to running, which, unless you've actually done it, really throws the body for a loop. So yes, I did that too! And let me tell you, after 35.25 miles, running down a driveway without falling on your face is very difficult! Your legs simply don't work for the first 30 seconds or so.

As a reward we went to our third swim/bbq party of the three-day weekend and I ate without worry.

Nutrition-wise, I had a Chocolate Outrage GU gel before the ride, two more gels during the ride, 48 ounces of Raspberry GU20, and a Bonk Breaker bar. Once home and finished with the mini-run, I downed 12 ounces of mocha-flavored Cytomax Recovery.

No comments: