Monday, November 10, 2008

Calabasas Classic Race Report



Bright and early yesterday I woke my son up and we headed out to Calabasas for the Calabasas Classic 5K/10K. It was a very cold morning (especially considering it was very warm the day before) and we shivered our way over to the LA Tri Club tent to wait for the start.

At the tent we met Lawrence Fong's father and picked-up a "Team Fong" t-shirt in support of Lawrence, who suffered multiple minor strokes last week and is in very serious condition at UCLA Medical Center (for more info on Lawrence, click here) (we're on the far left in the photo above).

Ryan and I ran the 5K. His knees started hurting after about 1 mile so we mostly walked the rest of it. As I was more interested in just having some quality time with my son and ensuring he had a good time at his first race, it was no problem to just take it easy for once.

The course was nice and slightly hilly through the city of Calabasas. A short run, we completed it in about 40 minutes, got our medals, hung out at the LATC tent a little while, and then headed home where it was nice and warm. Ryan said he liked the race, will likely do it again next year, and even mentioned doing a tri with me in a couple of years. That, I think, means this was a great morning!

No comments: