Wednesday, October 1, 2008

100 Lengths

In my quest to prepare myself for the upcoming sprint (1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run)on the 12th, I went for a ride yesterday. At mile 9 my IT band was very painful and once home I hit the ice immediately. Doc says I have "IT Band Syndrome" and for the past two weeks I've been stretching and strengthening and trying not to ride or run. Yesterday was a test. I failed.

Not to be outdone, I hit the pool today. It's a 1/4 mile swim (around 400 yards) and since that is actually about the distance of my warm-up, I figure I'm there. Like our friend Forest Gump, after a gel I tend to just keep going, and going, and going. This time I went 100 lengths (7,200 feet or 2,400 yards). My shoulders are sore.

So, now that I've got sore shoulders, and sore legs from cycling, what should I do? Why, go for a run! That's right: at 6:30 tonight I'm going to try a 5-mile LA Tri Club run at Balboa Park. If all goes as planned, I should be in a wheelchair by 8pm tonight, which gives me a great excuse to watch the "Dirty Sexy Money" premier tonight.

No comments: